Thursday 4 June 2015

Biggles

Dear Dreary,

I am well known in these parts as an avid aeromodeller, but I am becoming somewhat distressed with a specific localised problem.

It's never an issue getting the thing up, but I have recently been suffering from "cutting out", and on several occasions this has culminated in disastrous results, even once having to perform a crash landing. My wife reckons this is being caused by my arial size, and while personally I think it's a wiring issue, she is perhaps right to point out that a little more length might help.The two local hills sometimes make me unsighted when manoeuvring for the landing strip, which itself can be overgrown and potholed. At my age I am very wary about simply blaming my equipment, so I have been wondering if maybe its time to fly elsewhere.

This is keeping me awake at night. Have you any advice?

Regards,

Louis Blearyeyes,
Biggleswade.


My dear Louis.
Performing aerial acrobatics at your age is bound to be frustrating especially when it’s damp and blowing a Southerly wind.
There are certain things that you can do to prevent any unnecessary turbulence, giving you a fuller thrust capability and enhancing performance.
I’d suggest that you have your undercarriage looked at. A good lube and some fresh rubber should give you a smoother feel yet firmer grip when both entering and leaving the runway.
You mention the overgrown and potholed landing strip. This is never a good thing. It’s the responsibility of the owner to maintain a smooth, inviting area for your approach. It should have good drainage and free from any sewage pipes. A leak from one and any sudden friction from the other could have disastrous consequences.
Have your cockpit checked over by a reputable cocksmith to ensure all nuts are tightened correctly and that you can easily grip your joystick with both hands.
If you adhere to my advice I don’t think that it will be necessary to open your bomb doors elsewhere.
So tally ho, chocks away and flaps down for a heavenly upwards assent!
Dreary. X

No comments:

Post a Comment